|Layer Mask Exercise
Teacher: Ken Kimura
email: ken_kimura at lsrhs dot net
telephone: (978)443-9961 XT2221
- Using layer masks as a non destructive way of creating transparent portions of layers
- Using layes and masks to create a composite image
What To Do
- Apple clicking a layer to select everything in a layer
- The effect of creating a layer mask when there is an active selection
- Editing a layer mask by painint with whites, grays and black
- Inverting what is selected.
CLICK HERE for Grading Criteria
- In my public folder, look for a folder named: “A7.” Drag a copy of this folder onto your desktop.
- Before you open the PSD file, change the file name of A7_lastnamefirstinitial.psd to reflect your last name and first initial. You may review the other files but the A7 file is the one you will work on.
- Using a layer mask and a gradient, blend the green fields layer with the desert layer. Make sure that you cannot see the edge or either photo.
- For the “eyes” layer, use a layer mask to remove everything but the eyebrows and the eyes. Change the blending mode of that layer to Multiply.
- Using a layer mask, the magic wand and the “option-delete” command, mask out the glass windows of the window layer.
- Using a layer mask, the “apple-click selection” technique and the “option delete” command, make the people appear to be looking through the window, WITHOUT CHANGING THE LAYER ORDER.
- Adjust the hue saturation of the watercolor layer. Shift it’s hue to +41.
- Create large text that is filled with the watercolor layer.
- create a text layer
- resize the watercolor layer to fill the text
- command-click a selection around the text
- turn off the visibility of the text layer
- with the selection still active, make a layer mask on the watercolor layer.
- Put a drop shadow on the text.