June 4, 2013 Parent/Player Meeting – 6:30pm in the LS cafe *in coming 9th graders are welcome*
EARLY is ON TIME…ON TIME is LATE! Late is NOT an option.
· Vicky Caburian (Wellness) – Varsity coach
· Maureen Bolton (Chemistry) – JV coach
· Amanda Klein (Wellness)- 9th grade coach
· Kelly Curran – Volunteer (Assistant Coach for field hockey program)
· Vision for the Future of the LS Field Hockey Program
- Booster Club membership and support – coaching clinics, equipment, fundraising…
- Captains Council – promote shared leadership, emphasis on all roles with equal importance
- More competitive program
- Population increase
- Increase involvement with Lincoln and Sudbury through clinics and camps
- Provide a challenging and positive experience not just as athletes, but as LS students/athletes
ALL players must have a current physical and registration fee
Bona fide team rule
Use of technology to communicate information
PLEASE DO NOT park in the bus loop to pick up athletes. Park in the designated parking area.
Club teams, Off season involvement
Concerns regarding high school team expectations and commitment. Interscholastic Athletics philosophy and Club philosophy
FUN, long term healthy activity development, competitive, learning experience, guaranteed game play, introduction to shared leadership. Everyone gets playing time.
FUN, long term healthy activity development, more competitive, learning, experience, improving skills, developing shared leadership … Potential Varsity players. Everyone gets playing time, however, amount of game time will depend on coach evaluation of the player. JV does not guarantee a Varsity status in the future.
FUN, long term healthy activity development, most competitive, learning experience, higher level of skill/play, passion for the game, maturity level – what is your role on the team?, some future collegiate/club players, developing and implementing shared leadership. Previous Varsity status does not guarantee Varsity again. Game play on Varsity is not guaranteed.
Team Selection Criteria /Player Evaluation
Objective – summer workouts calendar, timed/recorded scores, skills/ability
- speed, agility, stamina, & strength
- meet the needs of the team (defense, offense, goalie)
Subjective – positive attitude, effort, coach comments & observations
- a true team player ( encourages & supports teammates)
- enthusiastic, high work ethic, coachability …
· Maintain clear communication between players, parents, coaches and teammates.
· Be aware of the LS Athletics Code of Conduct – parents and players sign these documents and agree to the expectations
· Encourage players to talk with the coach first if there is a concern. Parents may then contact the coach and then if necessary Nancy OʼNeil (Athletic Director).
· As a courtesy, please inform coaches when using their name and information (ex: recommendations, recruiting process, scholarships…)
· Encouraging healthy balance of multisport and multiactivity participation to decrease (physical and emotional) risk of injury and burnout. Play for the love of the game! Let the kids play!
· College field hockey opportunities – “What should I do if I want to play in college?”
·Club, intramural, Division I, II or III· Honesty, fairness, consistency, sacrifices …
· Players must respect and follow all MIAA regulations regarding drugs, alcohol … Any violations will not be tolerated. It is our goal to provide a competitive and supportive learning experience.
· Parents and players must understand and sign the LS Code of Conduct
· The undersigned recognize: (1) There are risks of injury or damage resulting from such participation. Any activity involving contact, motion or height creates the possibility of serious injury, including permanent paralysis and even death; (2) There may be costs in the event of such injury or damage and all costs, for the injury or damage and for any insurance against such risks, are the responsibility of the undersigned.
· All field hockey participants must be PASSING all classes to participate.
· Being part of an LS team is a privilege. The challenges ahead will “encourage leadership potential, compassion for others and perseverance in achieving individual and ‘team’ goals” – Wellness Department Philosophy.
Itʼs NOT just about field hockey… itʼs about your life choices.
Thank you for supporting the LS Field Hockey Program!